Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Random adventures in Backpacking

My train from Serbia arrives in Budapest at 5am. It's freezing cold and I had not booked a hostel. Luckily I have the keycode to a hostel where I had stayed in October. I let myself in, planning on finding an empty bed and collapsing. Unfortunately all the beds are filled with bodies. I have no choice and go to sleep on the couch. I am briefly woken up later by two guys stumbling home at 7am.

I wake up a few hours later and see a guy who works in the hostel sitting next to me on the couch. He says he recognizes me from a few months earlier and that he will try to find me a bed for tonight. I go back to sleep.

It turns out that the hostel is full so after a night of karaoke I again sleep on the couch. In the morning the hostel accepts whatever leftover Hungarian Forunts I have in my wallet as payment and I am on my way.

Having a "bed" at a hostel is an unnecessary luxury.

From Budapest, Hungary

No comments: