Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ushuaia, Argentina

I fly from Sao Paulo, Brazil via Buenos Aires and arrive at Ushuaia, Argentina. Ushuaia is the southernmost city in the World. Most people come here to take cruises to Antarctica. I considered visiting my 7th continent but reconsidered after finding out that standby beds are $4000.

I meet two English girls and an American guy in the dorm of my hostel that are interested in doing some trekking on Torres del Paine, Chile. It's one of the most famous treks in South America. I don't think I'm hardcore enough to do it on my own so I'm happy to join them.

From Ushuaia, Argentina


From Ushuaia, Argentina


From Ushuaia, Argentina


The next day I check out some penguins, seals, and other wildlife. Check out this amazing video: One penguin tries to steal a rock away from another penguin for his nest but gets busted. Hilarious!



I also go hiking to a glacier. Afterwards I go to exchange a bus ticket to Punta Arenas, Chile which is on the way to Torres del Paine. The line is REALLY long so I ask the two girls next in line if I can squeeze in a quick question about changing my ticket. Turns out they are Israeli and trying to get to the same place. We talk to the bus lady together and find out that all the buses are full. I tell the girls that I saw a sign my hostel about a private bus to Punta Arenas so we leave and head to my hostel. At my hostel they book us all for Punta Arenas. Now there's 6 of us - two English girls, two Israeli girls, and two American guys.

The next morning we head off to Puentas Arenas...

1 comment:

HH said...

I wish you could "like" on blogs too!