Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Toughing it in Tallinn

So Im in Tallinn, Estonia - my first stop in Eastern Europe. Most of you are probably imagining I'm in some kind of Borat-like backwater, with horse-pulled cars and proud award-winning prostitutes. Well, turns out that's Romania (where Borat was actually filmed and a later stop on my trip.) In reality, Estonia is a modern first-world country. Home of Skype and Kazaa, Estonia has thrown off its former Soviet shackles and readily embraced the western world. Since Estonia joined the EU, money has been pouring in, with economic growth at an unsustainable 10%. (US growth is currently at 0.5% and that's above previous expectations.) In other worlds, Tallinn is a comfortable, safe, first-world capital. It also lacks all the crazy third-world atmosphere of anything-can-happen. People here actually respect pedestrian traffic lights. No cars in sight - the road is 10 feet wide - and they stand their patiently waiting their turn. The Israeli in me could not comprehend this bizarre phenomenon.



Well anyway, I had an amazing time here, thanks to Leeza's friends. But now its time to move on. In a few minutes a couple that Leeza's friends introduced me to is picking me up for a ride to Riga, Latvia for a Bjork concert. (Mom, relax they're cool. I promise. I don't care what Nava said. Ill call or email when I get there.) Then we're driving all over Latvia and ending up at Positivus AB - a two day music festival in Latvia headlined by Fatboy Slim. I need to pick up a tent first though.

My hostel in Tallinn is also amazing. Its a crazy bohemian place with awesome people from all over the world. The most interesting is an Argentinian middle-aged shaman who travels the world to dispense his medicines and lead healing sessions. Dude has some insane stories. The hostel is expensive at $20 a night for a dorm with 7 other people. Riga will be $9 a night for a 14 person dorm - more reasonable. Sleep not included.

No comments: