Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pecs, Hungary

On the way to the train station in Budapest, I get a text message that I've got a place to CouchSurf in Pecs. Sweet.

I show up at the apartment, and it turns out my hosts are four pretty Hungarian University students. Two of the girls work for Red Bull, so we all load up on some. After some Hungarian Witch's Blood we head out for a night on the town. We go out to a club and get in basically for free since the girls know the bouncer. There is an awesome live Hungarian rock show followed by dance music all night.

From Pecs, Hungary


The next day I'm sad to leave and we say goodbye. I walk around Pecs and see the sights. There is a mosque in the center of town that was built by the Turks on the site of a church they destroyed during occupation. When the Turks were kicked out, the Hungarians turned it back into a church. But it's really cool to see Muslim and Christian imagery in one structure. It's called the Mosque Church.

From Pecs, Hungary


I also check out the synagogue. It is closed for Sukkot but I somehow find an unlocked side entrance, and am able to find their Sukah. Pretty cool.

From Pecs, Hungary


I move on to my next CouchSurfer, who greets me with a hot Hungarian stew. After some Hungarian wine we hop on some bikes and head off to the bars. Drinking and biking is probably a bad idea, but it's pretty fun :) I meet an American couple who are going to head back to their hostel at 3AM to watch the Obama / McCain debates. I'm tempted, but in the end it doesn't happen. Too bad, I heard it was interesting. I'll hang out in Pecs for another night and then I'm onto Zagreb, Croatia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You going to hit up romania?

Nir said...

yeah i'm hitting up Romania at the end of the Balkans. Going to do Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, etc and then come around to Romania. Everyone says youve gotta see it!