Sunday, September 21, 2008

Prague, Czech Republic

I LOVE Prague. Not sure why. I just do. Something magical about it. Kind of have a crush on the city. When I finally found the town square I was grinning from ear to ear. Some of it was nostalgia from my misadventures in 2003.

Prague feels different. It has all the beauty and charm of Eastern Europe without the communism hangover. Communism here has a retro / kitsch feel. In the previous cities it was mostly haunting / depressing. Not that Czechs haven't suffered under communism. Kundera's The Joke is a devastating critique of Czech communism.

From Prague, Czech Republic


Prague is VERY touristy. Starbucks has a line out the door. For the fist time I hear English everywhere (mostly of the Aussie variety). But I forgive you Prague. I love you anyway. Marry me.

Yesterday I visited Pilsen (home of Pilsner Urquell) via CouchSurfing and I'll write about it when I get a chance. Was pretty cool.

But tomorrow I'm taking the train to Munich and crashing with a CouchSurfer to experience Oktoberfest. Should. Be. Insane.

No comments: